Halifax District Hospital opened its doors to the community on January 3, 1928. Founded by the state legislature, the hospital began operations with 125 licensed beds. During World War II, the hospital became a convalescent facility. In 1947, it was remodeled and returned to the community as an acute care general hospital. In 1985, the hospital was designated as the area’s only Level II Trauma Center and changed its name to Halifax Medical Center. In 2007 Halifax Health – Medical Center of Port Orange opened to provide access to residents on the south side of Volusia County. The France Tower was competed in 2009, at which time, many additional services were added, and the Halifax Health Medical Center of Deltona opened in 2020 to round out the three hospital system of care.